Find Your Recipe
Find the perfect dish for any occassion.
Backyard BBQ’d Spareribs
- 2 racks pork spareribs (about 3 pounds each), trimmed
- 1/2 cup Memphis Shake (recipe follows)
- 2 cups Cola Barbeque Sauce (recipe follows)
Cola Barbeque Sauce:
- 4 garlic cloves peeled
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups cola
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder slightly heaping
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce plus additional for seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup sweet paprika
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- Rub ribs all over with Memphis Shake. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours. Soak wood chips in water for at least 30 minutes before grilling.
- Soak 3 cups hardwood chips in water for 30 minutes or up to one day. Build a charcoal fire on an outdoor grill to medium heat. Place a pan, half-filled with water, under cooler side grill grate. Open bottom vents grill.
- Place ribs over drip pan. Drain wood chips and place half directly over hot coals. Rotate lid so vent holes are directly over ribs. Add about 1 cup hardwood charcoals to fire about every hour during cooking time to maintain a medium to medium-low fire (a temperature about 250°F to 275°F is ideal). Cook until meat is reddish brown and pulls back from bones, about 3 hours. Baste ribs with barbecue sauce and cook over direct heat until lightly glazed. Cut racks into ribs and serve with extra sauce on side.
- Whisk paprika, brown sugar, oregano, garlic, ancho powder, 2 teaspoons salt, and celery salt in a small bowl. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 2 months.
Cola Barbeque Sauce:
- Smash the garlic cloves, sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt, and, with the flat side of a large knife, mash and smear mixture to a coarse paste.
- Stir garlic paste, the1⁄4 teaspoon salt, cola, ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire, chili powder, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce, and allspice together in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until thickened, about 45 minutes. Cool slightly, stir in the lime juice, and season with black pepper and hot sauce to taste.