Find Recipes & Pairings
for Any Occasion
Find Recipes & Pairings
entwine IS THE DELICIOUS COMING TOGETHER OF EXTRAORDINARY THINGS
Wente Vineyards, one of America's oldest wineries and the Food Network, the most trusted name in food.
Duck Salad with Sherry Dressing
ENTWINES WITH Chardonnay
- 1 whole duck (4-5 pounds) breasts boned with skin left on and legs removed with skin left on (ask your butcher to do this)
- 2 teaspoons smoked Spanish paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup whole almonds
- 5 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespooons honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary minced
- 1 medium red onion sliced into 1/3-inch rounds
- 2 large navel oranges
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 cups mesclun greens (about 10 ounces)
- 1/3 cup pitted green Spanish olives
- Prepare an outdoor grill of your choice with a medium-high fire for both direct and indirect grilling. Position a drip pan under the grate on the indirect side. Trim and skin the duck breasts, reserving the skin from one. Rub all pieces with the smoked paprika, 2 teaspoons salt, and pepper.
- 2. Put the legs skin-side up on the grill over the drip pan and cook, covered, until the skin crisps and the meat is tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. (If using a charcoal grill, stoke the fire as needed with more coals to maintain a medium-high heat.)
- Meanwhile, cook the reserved duck skin in a skillet over medium heat to render 3 tablespoons fat; discard the remaining skin. Add the almonds, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste and cook until browned and toasted, about 2 minutes. Remove the nuts with a slotted spoon and set aside. Off the heat, whisk in 3 tablespoons vinegar, 1 tablespoon honey, and the rosemary. Lay the onion rounds in a pan, season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, and cook over low heat until soft and browned, turning once, about 6 minutes per side. Set aside.
- Juice an orange half and whisk in a bowl with the remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar, remaining 1 tablespoon honey, and 1 teaspoon salt. Gradually whisk in the olive oil, starting with a few drops and adding the rest in a steady stream. Trim the peel and pith from the remaining half and whole orange and discard. Slice the oranges into thin half-moons.
- Grill the duck breast over a direct medium-high fire until lightly marked and the meat is just firm to the touch, about 3 minutes per side. Cook the legs over the fire to crisp their skins, about 1 minute. Cut the leg meat from the bone into bite-size chunks. Thinly slice the breast meat against the grain.
- Toss the greens, orange slices, almonds, and olives with the dressing. Divide the salad evenly among 4 plates and top with both breast and leg meat and onion rounds.